Not feeling inspired by the cold dark days that lie ahead for us all in the UK? Then how about some surefire sunshine this Christmas?
Timeshare favourite Florida has so much to offer for the whole family any time of year but in December it comes into its own as one of the world’s top winter sun spots. The temperature stays nicely mild from November to February, averaging between 16C and 23C, so it’ll feel more like early summer than deepest Winter.
Follow this guide for some top ways to celebrate the holiday season whilst you’re across the pond.
1) Keeping in the Christmas spirit (even though you won’t be needing your fleece jacket!) you won’t want to miss the Pensacola Winterfest. It’ll have you full of Christmas cheer (and hot chocolate) and get you into the festive spirit. Make sure you grab a seat on the Polar Express train and get along to the kids’ favourite, the Elf Parade. And the best part is… it’s all for charity, so you can make donations to charities that’ll help give those less fortunate a Christmas to remember.
2) If you still haven’t got that wintery feeling yet, get yourself along to ICE! Wonderland in Lake Buena Vista. Surrounded by 20,000 square feet of carved ice sculptures the setting is icily surreal. Forget about the cold and take a ride down the two-storey tall slides made of – yes – ice! And don’t worry about packing your winter gear, you will be provided with coats and gloves.
3) Another option if you’re near the coast at St Petersburg on 14 December is to head to the illuminated boat parade. Spend the evening drifting around Vinoy Pier, where you can soak up the live entertainment and the magical sight of Christmas lights draped on boats on the water. Take the camera – it’s beautiful!
4) If thrills are your thing, or you need to drain some energy out of the kids before bed time, then Santa’s Enchanted Forest in Miami based in the Tropical Park is a must. Pick from hundreds of rides and attractions and try your hand at winning prizes at the countless booths. It’s definitely one of the biggest holiday events of the year in the Florida región.
5) We all know that feeling once Christmas day has been and gone, all the presents have been unwrapped and our wallets are feeling decidedly lighter. But to keep that spark alive and to polish off your holiday in style, get along to the Homosassa Spring’s Wildlife State Park on 26 December for the synchronized light and sound show after-party. This incredible show will keep that festive feeling flowing well into Boxing Day evening. Similarly, free light shows, film festivals and Orlando’s biggest ice rink are held until 5 January at the University of Florida’s UCF Arena – another one, not to be missed!