The world’s ten largest hotel groups have been announced for 2013, and it’s interesting to note that some of the top brands in a recent survey are hoteliers that also happen to run successful vacation ownership programmes.
Once again, the InterContinental Hotels Group retained its number one spot this year. The British chain, which owns the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn brands, has over 4,500 hotels worldwide which translates into more than 675,000 rooms.
However, Hilton – arguably he best known name in the global hotel industry – has had a remarkable two years. Hilton Worldwide took second place, thanks to a steady annual growth of 3.4 per cent. Its timeshare division, Hilton Grand Vacations Club is one of the top shared ownership programmes in the world. Hilton now lies behind the InterContinental Hotels group by a margin of less than 24,000 rooms.
The figures, released annually by the MKG group, also saw China’s first entry into the top ten, with Home Inns taking ninth position. The company has grown by a massive 21.2 per cent in the past year.
Georges Panayotis, President of the MKG group, said: “The race for size is a major challenge for hotel groups with a global ambition.
“Size enables hotels to offer their guests complete geographic coverage and a range of products that reinforce the power of commercialisation.”
Meanwhile, the figures show that Marriott International is not far behind Hilton.
The Wyndham group, which lost out on second spot to the Hilton two years ago, is in at number four this year. Still highly focused on its national territory, Wyndham’s future plans include expansion outside the USA.
To sum up, top ten largest hotel firms for 2013 are:
1) IHG (UK) with 4,602 hotels and 675,982 rooms
2) Hilton Hotels (USA) with 3,992 hotels and 652,378 rooms
3) Marriott International (USA) – also one of the best known names in timeshare – with 3,672 hotels and 638,793 rooms
4) Wyndham Hotel Group (USA) with 7,342 hotels and 627,437 rooms
5) Choice (USA) with 6,198 hotels and 497,023 rooms
6) Accor (FRA) – which also runs a very successful timeshare division – with 3,515 hotels and 450,199 rooms
7) Starwood Hotels and Resorts (USA) – who also specialise in luxury private residence club models – with 1,121 hotels and 315,346 rooms
8) Best Western (USA) with 4,024 hotels and 311,611 rooms
9) Home Inns (CHI) with 1,772 hotels and 214,070 rooms
10) Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group (USA) with 1,077 hotels and 166,245 rooms