Interval International revealed this week that its UK members not only travel extensively, they are satisfied with their shared ownership product and furthermore, over half own multiple weeks of vacation ownership or the equivalent.
Interval also announced that its members are reporting average household incomes of about £63,650 per year, while one third own a second home – other than their holiday ownership.
The findings are revealed in full in the Interval International 2013 UK Membership Profile, which is the result of a sample survey of UK-resident vacation owners who have active Interval membership.
The online study will be a valuable reference for use in the development of services and benefits to be offered to Interval members and provide insights to resort developers and prospective industry entrants looking at designing products and developing marketing strategies.
“With the results of the 2013 profile broadly in line with that of the 2011 member study and showing that going on holiday remains a high priority for our members, developers can look forward to welcoming more vacation owners to their resorts,” said Darren Ettridge, Interval’s senior vice president of resort sales and business development for Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Africa. “It is also interesting to note that our members make full use of their leisure time and have a diverse range of future travel plans.”
Interval’s UK members spend approximately 28 nights away from home travelling solely for leisure purposes. Additionally, study respondents indicate a penchant to travel across the European continent during the course of the next two years, boding well for future holiday ownership purchases. Further afield, they have a very strong desire to visit the USA and Canada and the Caribbean.
Respondents interested in purchasing additional vacation time remain most interested in owning a two-bedroom holiday residence, with over half (57 percent) citing a preference for that unit type. The purchase price, annual maintenance fee commitment and how luxurious the unit in question is are the three most influential factors in the decision making process.
Other notable findings from the 2013 UK Membership Profile include:
- Approximately 82 percent of Interval’s UK members report satisfaction with their timeshare ownership.
- Seven out of 10 acquired their timeshare interests from resort project developers and management companies.
- An estimated 48 percent of leisure travel nights are spent travelling across the UK and Ireland with the remaining 52 per cent devoted to international travel.
- The average length of a leisure holiday outside of the UK is estimated to be 8.5 nights.
- Almost half of Interval’s UK members would be interested in taking a cruise during the next two years.
- UK members prefer relatively less-strenuous activities on holiday with shopping, swimming, sightseeing and spending time in a spa rating highly.
About Interval International
Interval International has been a pioneer and innovator in serving the vacation ownership market since 1976. Today, Interval has an exchange network of approximately 2,800 resorts in more than 75 nations. Through offices in 16 countries, Interval offers high-quality products and benefits to resort clients and about 2 million families who are enrolled in various membership programmes.