Diamond Resorts International is hosting a best in class celebrity and amateur golf tournament to raise money for the Walt Disney Pavilion at the Florida Hospital for Children.
The Brian Gay Invitational will take place at Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club in Florida on 6-8 December 2013, with the net proceeds going to the hospital.
The well known hospital is home to a world-class panel of pediatric specialists and highly qualified staff dedicated to the care of the children and the building has a unique lobby designed by Disney featuring famous characters and fun interactive games to help ease the fear and anxieties of patients and their families visiting the facility.
The Brian Gay Invitational will tee off in the morning on Saturday 7 December and each foursome will include one celebrity. Events planned over the big golf weekend include a private golf clinic with Brian Gay, an awards ceremony and a concert featuring a special guest artist. For those who don’t know their birdies from their eagles, the weekend will include VIP trips to local area attractions, shopping excursions and spa treatments.
Brian Gay, Diamond’s PGA touring professional, will lead the event. He said: “It’s an honour to join with Diamond in this charitable effort as this event provides an incredible opportunity to support a worthy cause for which I am passionate about, while also giving back to my local Orlando community.”
Wins during Gay’s 19-year career include four PGA Tournaments including te Mayakoba Golf Classic at Riviera Maya in Cancun in 2008, the Verizon Heritage in 2009 and the St. Jude Classic in 2009. Most recently, in January this year, Brian won the Humana Challenge in La Quinta, California.
Michael Flaskey, executive vice president, Sales and Marketing, North America, Diamond Resorts International, said: “We are very pleased with the tremendous celebrity response we have already received as it has given us great momentum leading into The Brian Gay Invitational.
He added: “We strongly believe in this worthy cause and are proud to support the Orlando community where Diamond has a significant presence. Due to the generous response in sponsorships and in-kind donations, along with Brian’s active involvement, we anticipate that our fundraising efforts for the Florida Children’s Hospital will exceed our projected goals and expectations for the event.”
A host of illustrious sports personalities will be taking part, including:
- Marcus Allen, Hall of Fame Football Player
- Jerome Bettis, Retired NFL Player
- Johnny Damon, Retired MLB Player
- Mike Eruzione, Olympic Hockey Legend
- Penny Hardaway, Retired NBA Player
- John Hart, MLB Executive
- Grant Hill, Retired NBA Player
- J.B. Holmes, PGA Tour Player
- Reggie Jackson, Hall of Fame Baseball Player
- Lee Janzen, PGA Tour Player
- Ryan Longwell, NFL Player
- Joe Magrane, Retired MLB Player/Commentator
- Kevin Millar, Retired MLB Player/Sportscaster
- Phil Nevin, Retired MLB Player
- Bud Norris, MLB Player
- Nick O’Hern, PGA Tour Player
- A.J. Pierzynski, MLB Player
- Dan Plesac, Retired MLB Player
- Darius Rucker, Country Music Superstar
- Mark Rypien, Retired NFL Player
- John Smoltz, Retired MLB Player/Sportscaster
- Michael Stewart, Retired NBA Player
- Frank Viola, Retired MLB Player