Interval International’s UK members are very happy with their membership overall, according to a report by the leading exchange organization, revealed this week
Interval’s members own an average of 1.9 weeks of shared ownership, the average household income is just over £70,000 and more than one-quarter report ownership of a second home – apart from their holiday ownership.
The findings are from Interval International’s 2011 UK Membership Profile, which was developed from a sample of UK-resident vacation owners who have an active membership with Interval. The online study will provide insights for use in the development of services and benefits to be offered to Interval members and will also provide useful information for resort developers and operators to help target their products and develop their marketing strategies to meet demand.
The report adds that Interval’s UK members are keen travellers, spending approximately 28 nights away from home while on holiday, and members showed an interest in travelling around Europe over the next couple of years. Longer haul destinations earmarked as preferred destinations included the USA and Canada, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand. As for the type of holiday, relaxing breaks topped the list with spa, shopping, sightseeing and cultural outings distinctly more popular than adventure or extreme sport vacations. Many members also said they were thinking of taking a cruise in the next two years.
“As going on holiday remains a high priority for our members, developers can look forward to welcoming more vacation owners to their resorts,” said Darren Ettridge, Interval’s senior vice president of resort sales and business development. “That and the fact that our UK membership base continues to be interested in owning more vacation time should encourage resort sales and marketing professionals to take heed of this potential purchasing group.”
Two bedroom properties are the most popular, with 57 percent saying that was the unit of choice for their holidays. Purchase price, the luxury of the unit, and the annual maintenance fee commitment are the three most influential factors in the decision making process.
Other notable findings from the 2011 UK Membership Profile included:
• Approximately 83 percent of Interval’s UK members report satisfaction with their timeshare ownership.
• Nearly eight out of 10 acquired their timeshare interests from resort project developers and management companies.
• An estimated 61 percent of leisure travel nights are spent travelling across the UK and Ireland and the European continent.
• The average length of a leisure holiday within Europe is estimated to be 7.5 nights.
• Almost half of Interval’s UK members would be interested in taking a cruise during the next two years.
• UK members prefer relatively less-strenuous activities on holiday with sightseeing, swimming, shopping, spending time in a spa and watching plays and concerts rating highly.
About Interval International
Founded 35 year ago, Interval has an exchange network of approximately 2,600 resorts in over 75 nations. Through offices in 15 countries, Interval offers high-quality products and benefits to resort clients and approximately 2 million families who are enrolled in various membership programmes.