With its snowy white beaches, sizzling temperatures and glittering azure seas, it’s easy to see why Cyprus, island of Aphrodite, Greek goddess of love and beauty, is one of our most beloved timeshare escapes.
But with Roman ruins, ancient art and its own fine wine producing vineyards, there’s plenty more to this island than meets the eye.
If it’s is on your holiday list this year, here are ten things to do while you’re soaking up all that feelgood Cypriot sunshine.
1) Get snap happy at the beautiful Caledonia Falls in the Troodos Mountains. This stunning waterfall is at its most spectacular in spring and has to be seen to be believed.
2) Relax and unwind as you gaze at clear waters, and the breathtaking landscapes at Chrysochou Bay, Polis in the Southwest of the island. This beautiful beach is even fronted by a forest of eucalyptus trees and has a beach bar and restaurant so you can linger over some mezze as the waves lap gently, and enjoy the views.
3) Wine lovers should take a 30-minute tour of the modern brewery and winery in Limassol. It’s owned by KEO, who brew the island’s famous lager as well as a good range of wines. Better still, the tour ends with a tasting session – the perfect way to discover your new favourite Cypriot wine.
4) Imagine how the gladiators once lived as you stand in the Roman stadium and wander through the spectacular ruins at Kourion. Historians and culture lovers can also visit the famous Temple of Apollo.
5) If you’re looking to dance the night away, enjoy the lively nightlife in Agia Napa, which also boasts the best beaches in Cyprus. While this busy resort is popular with young, it’s also worth visiting the old fishing port too.
6) Take a hike to the picturesque village of Valva, which is full of pretty old stone houses set among rolling hills offering great views of the Troodos mountains.
7) One for archeology fans – delve into the history of the ancient Makronissos Tombs, near Agia Napa, which features 20 chambers cut into the limestone rock and was once used by the Romans.
8) Enjoy the local delicacies by feasting on moussaka or mezze in the Monte Carlo restaurant in Lamaka. Ask for a table on the terrace overlooking the water.
9) Wonder at the mosaics in Phoebe Mosaic Workshop in Laneia, which makes colourful copies of famous ancient designs as well as originals.
10) Last but not least, fashion lovers will enjoy seeing the superb jewellery, sculptures and ancient ceramics from the Byzantine Empire in the Cyprus Museum in Nicosia.