English timeshare favourite The Lake District has always been one of Britain’s most photographed spots – even Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie holidayed there last year while Pitt was filming in the UK.
Now TripAdvisor has named two of Windermere’s most secluded hotels in its top ten most romantic resorts in the world.
Cranleigh Boutique, based in Bowness-on-Windermere, and Cedar Manor Hotel were voted third and fourth respectively in the website’s poll this year.
The five-star Cranleigh boutique hotel offers visitors a choice of plush rooms, while couples looking for something a bit more private can pick the hotel’s exclusive hideout house.
Others named in this year’s honours included the Baros resort in the Maldives, as well as La Minerva in Capri, Italy. The Anastasis Apartments in Greece were judged to be the world’s most romantic holiday spot.
Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor, said: "If you need inspiration for a romantic getaway, close to home or somewhere more exotic, look no further than the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards.
"The awards are based on feedback from couples who have stayed at these hotels and given them the highest romantic stamp of approval."
Top 10 Romantic Hotels in the World TripAdvisor list reads as follows:
– Anastasis Apartments, Imerovigli, Greece
– La Minerva, Capri, Italy
– Cranleigh Boutique, Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
– Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, Windermere, United Kingdom
– Baros Maldives, North Male Atoll, Maldives
– Casa del Mar, Langkawi, Pantai Cenang, Malaysia
– Bardessono, Yountville, California
– Al Maha Desert Resort, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
– Layana Resort and Spa, Ko Lanta, Thailand
– Veligandu Island Resort, North Ari Atoll, Maldives
For the complete list of winners from the 2013 Travelers’ Choice Awards, visit www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Romance